Teeth Extraction Post Op Instructions
- Your mouth may be numb for 2-10 hours after surgery, depending on the anesthetic used
- Take care NOT to bite your cheek, lip, or tongue.
- Take care NOT to eat/drink foods at extremes of temperature (very hot or cold).
- If numbness persists for several days, contact your surgeon.
- Keep the gauze pack in your mouth for 30-45 minutes.
- Apply moderate pressure by biting on the pack
- Do not chew on the pack
- If bleeding persists, replace the gauze with folded and dampened clean gauze.
- Expect the oozing to continue for most of the day.
- If you have excessive oozing, contact your surgeon. (Remember:a little blood mixed with a lot of saliva – looks like a lot of bleeding.)
- Do not smoke, rinse your mouth vigorously, or suck through a straw for 24 hours.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages for 24 hours.
- Limit strenuous activities for 24 hours.
- Should the clot breakdown or “fall out” and pain persists for more than 5 days, contact your surgeon, as you may have a “dry socket.”
- Take Advil x 3(600mg) every 4-6 hrs.
- Take your prescriptions as directed by your surgeon.
- Should you have any problems or questions, please contact your surgeon for things such as:
- Persistent nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, rash.
- If any severe allergic reactions – go to the nearest emergency room.
- Expect discomfort and swelling for 3-5 days
- Help to reduce the swelling with ice bags or cold compresses, placed periodically over the surgical site.
- Be sure to protect the skin from the cold.
- Stay hydrated: drink plenty of liquids and eat soft, nutritious foods.
- You may start with liquids and advance your diet to more solid foods as you progress.
- You may chew on the opposite side of your mouth while the surgery site heals then resume chewing on both sides as soon as it becomes more comfortable to do so.
- Avoid: Very hot/cold foods, alcoholic drinks, acidic drinks/foods (orange juice), crunchy foods
- You may brush/floss your teeth, but avoid the surgery site for 24 hours
- Remember NOT to rinse/spit vigorously for the 1st 24hrs, 2nd day you may rinse with warm salt water several times a day for the next 5 days.
- Cleaning your tongue may diminish the bad breath or unpleasant taste after the extraction.
- Avoid Mouthwash/rinses with alcohol for 5-7 days after the extraction.