Wisdom Tooth Post Op Instructions
Please follow the specific instructions given by your surgeon. If you have a question, please call our office.
- Bite, but DO NOT CHEW, on gauze for 40-45 minutes. If it is not actively bleeding, remove gauze.
- DO NOT SMOKE FOR 48 hrs.
- DO NOT USE A STRAW to drink or FORCIBLY SPIT or RINSE with mouthwash for 24 hours.
- BRUSH YOUR TEETH 3 TIMES A DAY. It is okay to get back near the surgery site the first day! After the first day gently brush the surgery sites.
- Keep the head elevated when possible, it helps reduce swelling and bleeding.
- USE ICE PACKS on the jaws for 20 minutes on – 20 minutes off the first 24 hrs.
- STAY OUT OF THE HEAT and sun during hot summer months until you have regained strength.
- Some discoloration around the IV site is normal and the extent will depend on your complexion and skin tone.
- DO NOT LIFT HEAVY OBJECTS with the arm your IV site was in for 3 days.
- If a KNOT, RED STREAKS OR MUSCLE WEAKNESS occurs around the IV site CALL THE OFFICE.
- The day after surgery, begin rinsing with a mixture of 1-teaspoon salt or mouthwash in 8 oz of warm water. Rinse with this mixture several times a day.
- DO DRINK MORE FLUIDS than normal the first several days after surgery. We suggest Sprite, 7-UP, Ginger ale, Gatorade or Apple juice. Clear carbonated beverages are best. AVOID JUICES THAT ARE HIGH IN CITRIC ACID SUCH AS ORANGE JUICE.
- You may have JELLO or apple sauce as your first foods. After these, if your stomach is not bothering you, you may have a light lunch consisting of warm soup such as chicken noodle.
- LATER IN THE DAY you may have soft foods such as mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, grits etc. Begin dairy products LATE the first day if you have tolerated all other foods.
- You are encouraged to move your jaw through chewing motions IMMEDIATELY after surgery.
- DO NOT DO ANY FORCEFUL CHEWING FOR 2-3 DAYS. (Tough food such as bagels)
- STAY AWAY FROM PEANUTS, POPCORN AND CHIPS FOR THE FIRST WEEK.
- THE FIRST DAY YOU WILL BEGIN YOUR ANTIBIOTICS AND ADVIL WITH THE LUNCHTIME MEAL AND WITH DINNER. Narcotic pain medication may be given before bedtime.
- Starting the second day you will take your 3 Advil (600 mg Ibuprofen) with the antibiotic prescribed. So, breakfast, lunch & dinner you would take 1 antibiotic and 3 Advil. If your antibiotic prescription is written for 4 times a day, you would add bedtime to this.
- If you notice 1-1 1/2 hours after taking the Advil (600mg Ibuprofen) that you feel the pain breaking through, you may at this time take the prescribed narcotic pain medication. The Advil (600mg Ibuprofen) and the narcotic work together to keep you comfortable.